If you’ve just had your armpits or legs waxed, you may be wondering how to reduce redness after waxing. The skin where the hair has been removed can become inflamed, with a reaction similar to an allergic reaction. When this happens, it’s called post-inflammatory erythema, more commonly known as ‘redness’. Fortunately, there are ways to help reduce the redness and speed up healing time after waxing. Here are some tips on how to reduce redness after waxing:
How To Reduce Redness After Waxing
Waxing is a popular hair removal method that can leave your skin smooth and hair-free for weeks, but it can also cause redness and irritation, especially if it is your first time or if your skin is sensitive. Here are some tips on how to reduce redness after waxing:
- Use a cold compress: Applying a cold compress to the affected area can help to reduce redness and swelling. You can use a cold pack or a bag of frozen peas wrapped in a towel.
- Apply aloe vera gel: Aloe vera gel is known for its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties. It can help to reduce redness and soothe irritated skin.
- Take an antihistamine: If your skin is particularly sensitive, you may want to take an over-the-counter antihistamine to help reduce redness and itching.
- Avoid hot water: Hot water can irritate the skin and make redness worse, so it’s best to avoid hot showers or baths for at least 24 hours after waxing.
- Use a soothing lotion: Applying a soothing lotion, such as calamine lotion or a lotion containing vitamin E can help to reduce redness and soothe irritated skin.
- Use Hydrocortisone cream: You can apply a small amount of Hydrocortisone cream or Neosporin cream to the affected area, which can help to reduce redness and inflammation.
- Apply Sunscreen: Applying sunscreen will help to protect your skin from sunburn, which can make redness worse.
- Avoid sweating: Sweating can cause irritation, so it’s best to avoid strenuous activities for 24 hours after waxing.
- Avoid tight clothing: tight clothing can cause friction and irritation on the waxed area, so it’s best to avoid them
- Wait a day before exfoliating: exfoliating the skin after waxing can cause irritation, so it’s best to avoid it for at least 24 hours.
Cool the Skin
After waxing, you can apply a cold compress to the area to help reduce redness and inflammation. This is most effective when done immediately after waxing. A cold compress can be as simple as a bag of frozen vegetables wrapped in a towel and applied to the area for about 10 minutes. You can also use a popsicle or a cold washcloth.
Use an Aloe Vera Gel
Aloe vera is one of the best home remedies for how to reduce redness after waxing. A topical application of aloe vera gel can help reduce redness and irritation. If you choose to use aloe vera gel, make sure it doesn’t contain any added fragrances or chemicals. Aloe vera also makes a great lotion, and you can buy it ready-made in many drug stores.
Apply a Calming Cream or Ointment
Creams or ointments containing soothing, anti-inflammatory ingredients can also help how to reduce redness after waxing. These products are applied to the skin, and work by reducing redness and inflammation. A good anti-inflammatory cream or ointment to use is one that has a mix of ingredients, such as tea tree oil, aloe vera, salicylic acid, and vitamin E.
Try an Anti-Inflammatory cream
If you want to how to reduce redness after waxing with something more natural and less synthetic, you can try an anti-inflammatory cream. These creams often contain ingredients like aloe vera, calendula, and witch hazel.
- Aloe vera – This powerhouse ingredient has countless uses, ranging from soothing burns to healing psoriasis. It’s also a great ingredient to use in an anti-inflammatory cream.
- Witch hazel – This ingredient may seem more at home in your bathroom, but witch hazel can be an effective anti-inflammatory when applied topically.
Mix Together Natural Ingredients to soothe the skin
If you want to how to reduce redness after waxing with a more self-made remedy, you can try mixing some natural ingredients together. You can use a natural anti-inflammatory cream, or you can mix ingredients together to create one yourself. Some ingredients to try are aloe vera, calendula, tea tree oil, and lavender.
After waxing, the area may appear inflamed and irritated. To reduce the redness, a cold compress, aloe vera gel, antihistamine, lotion, hydrocortisone cream, and sunscreen should be used. Additionally, hot water, sweating, and wearing tight clothing should be avoided. Natural ingredients like tea tree oil, aloe vera, salicylic acid, vitamin E, calendula, and witch hazel are known for their calming and anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce inflammation and soothe the skin. It is essential to wait for 24 hours before exfoliating and abstain from strenuous physical activity, wearing tight clothes, and sunbathing for the same period.
Super Nails & Hair (Nail salon in Brenham, TX 77833) provides rapid service with no loss of quality, and we ensure that you leave with a big grin. We will do everything in our power to make sure you leave with nails that are just as gorgeous as your heart, as well as hair that is as unique as your personality.